Favorite Authors Part 3: Robert Beatty

Let's talk about an author that became a favorite of mine this year!

So Robert Beatty doesn't have as many books as the previous two authors I talked about, but pretty much everything he's written so far that I have read has been awesome!

The first book I read from him was Serafina and the Black Cloak. I gave it 5 stars. The sequels Serafina and the Twisted Staff and Serafina and the Splintered Heart were great, too. I gave them both 4.5 stars.

I did not like the fourth book, Serafina and the Seven Stars, that much. I gave it 3.5 stars. The main issue I had with this book is that I felt that it didn't tie in with the previous three books. The first three books had mystery stories that tied in well with each other, but book 4 didn't feel like an actual sequel for them. It felt more like a random standalone book that just happened to have the same characters and setting. I wonder if maybe Robert Beatty didn't plan on writing a 4th book and he probably only wrote it because his publisher asked him to. I genuinely though the first three books were a perfect trilogy. That's why when I recommend these books, I suggest only reading the first three.

I read his Willa duology and I liked both of them! I gave them both 4 stars. I did find the ending of the second book to be super sad, though. The Willa books are also going to get a TV show adaptation, and I hope to view it whenever it comes out.

As of writing this post, Robert Beatty has a new book coming out soon that is called Sylvia Doe and the 100 Year Flood. I hope I end up liking it!

So why do I like Robert Beatty's books? They are all historical fiction books mixed with fantasy, and they are all mysteries that have you on the edge of your seat! He also writes his female characters really well. Some of his characters are part of the Cherokee tribe, and he always works with Cherokee people to make sure his characters are portrayed positively and their native language is written correctly. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review