Ellen Tebbits Review

 


Before I get into it, can I just say this is the second book from Beverly Cleary I read as an adult? The first was was Muggie Maggie, which I reviewed back in 2022.

I did read a lot of Beverly Cleary's books as a kid, though! I read all of the Ramona books (those are my favorites from her, Ramona is so hilarious and relatable. She's basically Junie B. Jones before Junie B. was a thing), the trilogy about Ralph the Mouse, and the first Henry Huggins book. I also read Socks and some of Otis Spofford but I can barely remember those two. I need to reread them sometime. I also need to read the rest of the Henry Huggins books. And the rest of her standalones and maybe her memoirs. 

Anyway. Ellen Tebbits is about Ellen, who has a rather embarrassing secret. When she meets a new girl named Austine in her ballet class, it turns out she has the same secret! So they become best friends. The rest of the chapters are about Ellen and Austine getting into all sorts of mishaps while still remaining friends. Until Ellen makes a huge mistake with Austine that puts their friendship to the test. 

I really liked how cozy and nostalgic this book felt! Even if you have never read it as a kid, it felt like being a kid again. Again, I love how Beverly Cleary really seemed to know how kids think and interact with each other. I think that's what makes her books timeless. So I gave this book 5 stars. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review