The Penderwicks Review

 


Have you ever had expectations for a book that were... just a little too high?

Fun fact: I originally DNF'd (did not finish) this book a few years ago, but I decided to give it a second chance. Was it good the second time around? Well...

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall is a middle-grade novel about four sisters (oldest to youngest): Rosaline, Jane, Skye, and Batty, and their father, spending the summer in a cottage that is part of the grounds of a huge mansion. They become friends with the landlord's son, named Jeffery. They love each other's company, but Jeffery's mom thinks that the Penderwick sisters are a bad influence on him, and she has other plans for her son that he doesn't like. Along with their adventures with playing in nature, and playing with the pet rabbits of the groundskeeper named Cagney, the Penderwicks try to help Jeffery deal with his overbearing mother.

This sounded like something right up my alley, and I enjoyed it for the most part, but even while reading it, it felt like there was something that was missing from the story? I though the story had way too much conflict and not enough cozy cottagecore vibes--which is a disappointment considering the cottage setting. I guess I was expecting too much from this book. At least the ending was really sweet. 

So it's a solid 4 star book. It was just a good book. Not great, just good. It's one of those books where I can say "at least I read it!", and there were several parts that I liked, but the book overall didn't strike a cord with me. I will not be reading the rest of the series. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review