They Called Us Enemy Review

 


I finally got around to reading this!

They Called us Enemy by George Takei is a graphic novel memoir of actor George Takei. It recounts experience as a child in a Japanese internment camp during WW2. He showcases his feelings as a kid experiencing something where he didn't always understand what was going on, but he knew it was something terrible. Growing up, he learned more about what it was being a victim of racism in the United States. He also teaches the audience things they might have not known about the internment camps and how they were able to end them after WW2. He also talks about the aftermath and his overall identity as a Japanese-American, and briefly his time about becoming and actor and being on the critically-acclaimed show, Star Trek. 

I loved this book so much! I learned so much about what it was like being in an internment camp from someone who experienced it firsthand, and I also learned more about George Takei in general. I think everyone needs to read this book!

I gave it 5 stars. There is not much else to say about how great this book was for me.

If you like reading memoirs, do you prefer reading them in graphic novel format, too?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review