CHEER UP LOVE AND POMPOMS REVIEW

 


Another graphic novel that I really like!

I've been seeing this book floating around the bookish spaces I follow, but I didn't pick it up until just recently. But I am glad I finally did, as this book was a delight. 

In Cheer Up: Love and Pompoms by Crystal Frasier, Val Wise, and Oscar O. Jupiter, we follow two characters: Annie and Bebe. Annie is very antisocial and would rather study, but her mother encourages her to join the school cheerleading team so she can have something else to do rather than studying and also to have some extracurriculars on her college applications. Anne is also a lesbian. Bebe is on the cheerleading team and is a huge people-pleaser. She is also transgender, and the first trans girl on the cheerleading squad. Annie and Bebe used to be friends, but after Annie joins the cheerleading squad, they rekindle their friendship. 

The story is about the girls' and their cheerleading squad improving their cheer skills, gaining popularity, and also looking forward to the school's prom. I should warn you, Annie and Bebe do occasionally deal with microagressions and other problems, but luckily it is all handled well in the story. 

This was such a cute book! I gave it 5 stars. If you're looking for a book with great queer rep and sports, check this out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review