SLEEPING AROUND BY MORGAN VEGA SPOILER FREE REVIEW


Now this is a massively underrated book!

Sleeping Around by Morgan Vega is a YA contemporary novel about a college freshman named Coralee Reed (who prefers to be called Corey) who is in extended foster care and loves to play violin. Her first year of college does not start out smoothly because she didn't get into the music program at her college, so she ends up sharing a room with two other girls. One of the roommates named Emma is really sweet and quickly becomes her friend, but the other roommate named Harper is really mean to both of them, making their living situation hard. Corey finds out from her orchestra professor that if she makes first chair in the violin section, she could get her own dorm room. She realizes she has to compete with her long-time rival, Dylan, to get it, because since they knew each other in high school he has always been first chair and she second. Not sleeping well at night takes a toll on her being able to do well in orchestra and her other classes, which is also a problem for her because if she doesn't get good grades, she won't be able to stay in foster care until she's 21. Corey eventually learns that she does have a circle of people who love and care about her (her foster family, her new friends, Dylan, etc.), and she doesn't need to keep to herself all the time.

This was a very emotional but lovely book. Even though I've never been in the foster system, I could at times relate to Corey feeling lonely and sad, but I loved the sweet reminders that so many people have her back. Plus, I used to do orchestra when I was younger too (even thought I played viola), so reading about Corey in orchestra felt kind of nostalgic to me. 

I wish this book was more popular! Morgan Vega is a great author. I want to read more of what she puts out. I gave this debut novel of her 5 stars. You can also check out her website here

Have you read any books about people in foster care? How about musicians? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review