Why I am cheap when it comes to books

 


The title says it all.

Here's why: the majority of the books I read and talk about on here are actually borrowed from my local library. A very small fraction of the books I read are books I actually own a copy of myself. 

I don't buy any books unless I've read it before at the library, loved it, and I want to buy my own copy. Or maybe I just couldn't find it at all at my local library. Other scenarios where I have my own copy of some book include:
  • The book was already in my house, bought by and owned by someone else (my parents, a family friend, etc.) and then they gave it to me. 
  • It was gifted to me, so someone else bought it with their own money.
  • I or my parents bought the book a long time ago when I was a child. Maybe I've already read it several times and kept it all these years, or I never read it as a kid but I'm glad I kept it because one day I might change my mind and want to read it. 
  • I needed my own copy of the book to take notes and/or annotations for a school project. (Aka required reading for school! Or it could be one of those projects where the teachers let you choose what book you want.)
I personally think it's a good idea to be selective on what books you purchase. This is because it saves a lot of money. Additionally, you only own the books you really, really like. It can be frustrating to buy a book, read it, and then not like it. A lot of people, including myself, get this feeling that they wasted their money when they could've spent that money on a better book. I know you can always donate the book that you didn't like, but wouldn't it just be easier to save all that time, money, and frustration on a book that's right up your alley?

I think in the book community, there is this pressure to buy a lot of books. I want to encourage and normalize using the library more. It can be just as fun as the bookstore! 

I also know people are big on supporting authors financially, and I still encourage financial support for authors you like, but there are other non-financial ways to support authors, too. Following them on social media and interacting with their posts is an obvious one! So is leaving reviews online of their books.

What do you think of using the library more? Do you frequently visit the library?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review