My Love Mix-Up Manga Spoiler Free Review


Did you know I also like to read manga? 

Well, to be honest, I watch more anime than read manga. The last manga series I remember reading in it's entirety was Kitchen Princess back in middle school, which was more than a decade ago. For the last decade or so of my life I've only consumed manga-original stories through their anime adaptations. Sometimes the anime adaptations don't even cover the entire manga. They're more like advertisements to get you to go buy the manga (clever marketing, huh?) Additionally, there are probably hundreds of manga out there that have no anime adaptation attached to it. Go figure. 

But I've decided to start reading actual manga again, and last week I finished the very first volume of My Love Mix -Up by Wataru Hinekure. 

In American marketing terms, this a YA contemporary romance manga series about three teenage friends (two guys and a girl, in this order): Aoki, Ida, and Hashimoto. Aoki has a crush on Hashimoto, but he's too shy to tell her. In turn, Hashimoto has a crush on Ida. One day during a test, Aoki borrows Hashimoto's eraser, which has "Ida" and a heart written on it, which is how he finds out about her crush on Ida. Aoki drops the eraser and Ida, who sits next to him, picks it up, but he sees his name written on it, and Aoki lies that the eraser is his, and that leads to Ida thinking Aoki has a crush on him. From there it leads to a series of funny misunderstandings, mostly between Aoki and Ida. Aoki also promises Hashimoto not to tell Ida her crush on him, mostly because she's shy about it, but also because Aoki wants to treat her well as he still has a crush on her. 

This was such a cute, funny, and lighthearted read! I'll admit it does get a little melodramatic at times, but the characters and situations were so funny and relatable. This manga is totally worth reading if you want something chill. The artwork is gorgeous, too.

I gave this book 5 stars. I will pick up the rest of the series soon!

Do you read manga? If not, are you considering trying out manga?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review