To All the Boys I Loved Before Rant Review

 


Yeah, I know I'm late to the party with this one. And I unfortunately didn't like it! 

To All the Boys I Loved Before by Jenny Han is about Lara Jean, who has developed crushes on 5 boys over the years, one of them being her childhood friend Peter and another being her next door neighbor, Josh. She has written letters to the boys she has had crushes on, but never mailed them--until one day then somehow get mailed and Lara Jean gets caught up in a crazy love triangle between Peter and Josh. 

I've seen so much praise for this book (and the series overall) for years and I finally got around to reading it, but this was just not for me! The main issue I had were the characters. They were all so unlikable! Except for Lara Jean's sisters Margot and Kitty. They were cool.

The romance between Lara Jean and Peter was also so badly done, in my opinion. Most of the time they felt like coworkers who barely tolerated each other. I know they were fake dating for most of the book, but as the book went on I did still not feel any good connection between them. 

I also didn't like the girl-on-girl hate between characters like Lara Jean and Genevieve. There are a lot of other things that haven't aged well, either, such as some HP references and the way any queer characters are treated. 

So I gave this book 2 stars. Yes, this is the first two star book I read this year. And the first one I've had in a long time. You bet you'll be seeing this in a post of popular books I didn't like!

What's the last popular book you read that you disliked?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review