Favorite Authors Part 1: LM Montgomery

A new series where I talk and gush about authors whom I've read a lot from and love!

The first Lucy Maud Montgomery book I read and loved was Anne of Green Gables, back when I was in middle school. It wasn't until my college years I found out there were more Anne books and she's written other books not about Anne during her lifetime. 

I read the first two Anne sequels (Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island) and enjoyed them both! I can't say the same for Anne of Windy Poplars, the 4th book. I DNF it. 

I found out on TV Tropes (link here, look at "Creator Backlash") that LM Montgomery didn't actually like writing most of the sequels of Anne of Green Gables. She put so many sequels out because the public and her publisher kept demanding it. Believe it or not, Anne of Windy Poplars was actually the 7th book published. It's like the Narnia series by CS Lewis where the books were published out of order. So Windy Poplars is the 4th book in the series but was actually the 7th book published. Anyway, by the time she wrote Windy Poplars, you could feel she was so done writing about Anne, because the quality of storytelling starts to go down.

I did try reading Emily of New Moon but I DNF it. I also DNF Pat of Silver Bush, but I am planning on going back and giving that one another chance.

Anyway, while Anne has a special place in my heart, some of her other books are masterpieces too! My top two other favorites are The Blue Castle and Jane of Lantern Hill. The Story Girl and its sequel, The Golden Road, is awesome, too. I am planning on reading Magic for Marigold sometime soon.

Why do I love LM Montgomery's books? They are sweet, heartwarming books that are very atmospheric and magical! Well, most of her characters are huge dreamers. She writes her female characters so well and is feminist friendly. They almost always have a cottage setting, too. Her books are perfect for cottagecore lovers like myself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review