Prairie Lotus Review

 


Another book I wanted to read for a long time that I finally got around to reading!

Prairie Lotus by Linda Sue Park is a historical fiction middle grade novel about a half-white, half-Chinese girl named Hanna who moves with her father to LaForge, South Dakota (not a real town). There she goes to school and is able to graduate. Then she and her father set up a boutique and try to find ways to get customers to come. It's not always easy. A lot of it stems from Hanna herself experiencing racism. But with the help of her new friends in her new community, she is able to achieve her goals. 

Well, this was a perfect example of "I liked it but I didn't love it". I think part of it was because the book is pretty short, so everything is resolved pretty quickly.

But it was still a great book! The writing is very beautiful and atmospheric, and the characters are all very well-rounded. Plus a happy ending.

So I gave it 4 stars. Trigger warnings include death of a parent and some racist language. Everything is handled well though. 

Are there any books that have been on your TBR for a long time that you got around to reading?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review