MOONSTRUCK VOLUME 1 REVIEW


Moonstruck by Grace Ellis is a graphic novel taking place in a world that looks like ours but everyone is a magical creature of some kind. The story follows a group of university students who live near and work at a coffee shop: Julie and Selena, who are a couple and are werewolves, and Chet, who is a centaur. They are sometimes joined by Lindi, and gorgon, and Mark, and vampire, who are part of a band. They later get a new friend named Cass who is a psychic. One day, Selena invites Julie on a date to watch a magic show, and Chet tags along, and the magicians there (a ghost and a fox guy), play a magic trick that makes Chet lose his horse legs and gain human ones. The friends all try to find a way to revert Chet back to normal, obviously with some obstacles along the way. 

I guess this was a somewhat cute and magical book, but the truth was, for some reason, it didn't really strike a cord with me. It took me a while to get into the story and understand what was going on, and then I thought at times the story was a little too melodramatic. The characters of Lindi and Mark didn't add too much to the story, either. There were also some extra materials in between chapters. One was of the setting's fictional newspaper advice column, and then some chapters of a fictional books series the MC likes to read that seemed to be inspired by Nancy Drew. Those two things didn't add much to the story either. 

It was not a bad book at all, but it wasn't something I felt passionate about either. I will not be reading the rest of the series. However, I do think the artwork is very pretty, and I liked the character of Cass. 

So I gave it 4 stars. It was an entertaining read, but it wasn't anything mind-blowing. 

What was the last book you read that you found to be average?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review