Nick and Charlie Review


Oh boy...how am I gonna talk about this...

Nick and Charlie by Alice Oseman is a novella of the characters Charlie Spring and Nick Nelson whom we all know and love from Heartstopper. This novella is set in Charlie's second to last year of high school and Nick's last year before going to university. The gist is that Charlie worries that he and Nick won't be able to maintain a long-distance relationship, and that's what kicks off the conflict for the story.

There is not much to say about this book because it is a novella so the story is short and is everything is resolved pretty quickly. Nick and Charlie have an argument and avoid each other for a while but then they get back together really sweetly towards the end. Pretty predictable. 

To be honest, there were a lot of things about this novella I didn't like. I found Charlie in particular to be a lot more short tempered and whinier here compared to his graphic novel counterpart. I also felt very uncomfortable reading about them drinking alcohol and some other things that they do. 

I gave this book 3 stars. I didn't hate it per se, but I didn't love it at the same level I love Heartstopper. The structure of the story was good and most characters like Nick were still pretty likable, but some things that the characters do throughout most of it didn't sit well with me. 

This is my second to least favorite Alice Oseman book (the least favorite being I was Born for This which I DNF earlier this year). I still love Alice Osman as an author overall, but I didn't love Nick and Charlie as much as I hoped. I hope Radio Silence is better! 

By the way, this is the first time in a long time I gave a book 3 stars. Who would have thought it would happen again this year after not happening for several years?!

3 star books for me are books I didn't dislike but I didn't like either. Basically, I am not sure how to feel about them. Has this ever happened to you with any book(s), too?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review