I FINALLY READ THE FIRST VOLUME OF HEARTSTOPPER BY ALICE OSEMAN

 TW: Mention of a toxic relationship and a non-consensual kiss


This graphic novel is more proof Alice Oseman is one of my favorite authors ever!

The first novel of this webcomic-turned graphic novel series Heartstopper is about a teenage boy named Charlie who is rather unpopular at his school. Charlie is also openly gay, and in the beginning is actively trying to get out of a toxic relationship with another guy named Ben. When the new school year starts, Charlie gets a seat next to a popular guy named Nick in one of his classes. Nick is very friendly to Charlie, and they start to hang out and form a close friendship with each other. They become even better friends after Charlie stands up for himself towards Ben and Nick tells Ben to stay away from Charlie or else. Charlie finds himself slowly falling in love with Nick, but he is not sure if Nick will also like him back the same way. At the same time, Nick is questioning his own romantic orientation.

This was such a sweet book! Alice Oseman has such a beautiful art style and she is really great at making all their characters relatable and realistic!

I did give this book 5 stars, but there are still some things to watch out for in this book. A massive one is one part where Ben is trying to kiss Charlie without his consent, but luckily he (Ben) is punished for it. You can check out all the trigger warnings for this book here on the author's website, as well as her other books. 

The book also ends in a cliff hanger! I will read the next volume ASAP.

I highly recommend this graphic novel. I might possibly also watch the Netflix series, but that will not happen anytime soon, since I currently don't have Netflix and who knows when I'll get it, if I ever do. But just reading the graphic novels are also good enough for me!

Who is one of your favorite authors? Or have you ever attempted at writing your own graphic novel (I might in the future!)?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review