Ronia: The Robber's Daughter Review


I found out about this book because there is a CGI Studio Ghibli series of the same name directed by Goro Miyazaki (Hayao Miyazaki's son). I might or might not watch it sometime. The book is also by Astrid Lindgren, who is most well known for writing the Pippi Longstocking series. I could never get into the Pippi series (shocker, I know!), but this stand alone novel worked for me!

Ronia the Robber's Daughter is about, well, Ronia, who is the daughter of Matt. Matt is the leader of a band of thieves who live somewhere in a big forest. Matt has a rivalry against Borka, who is the leader of another gang of thieves in the same forest. One day while hanging out outside, Ronia meets Borka's son Birk, who is around her age. They argue a lot at first, but then they soon become friends behind their fathers' backs. Eventually their fathers' find out and the two gangs get into a fight over it. It ends up with Ronia and Birk running away to live in a cave together. They enjoy each others' company for the most part, but they both wish their fathers' and their respective gangs could come together and get along (which they eventually do at the end). 

I loved how homely this book felt. The forest setting, the small cast of characters, Ronia and Birk's friendship...everything about it was everything I like to see in books! I can see why Studio Ghibli decided to make their own TV series adaptation of it, as it definitely has all the Ghibli vibes and story beats and characters. 

I gave it 4 stars, but that was because of two reasons: I didn't like Ronia's father very much (but he does get better at the end), and Ronia and Birk do get and tame soem wild horses, but I don't like the names they gave the two of them (Villain and Savage). But that is all the caveats I have with the book. 

Have you read books about theives before? If not yet, do you want to? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review