I FINALLY READ SORCERY OF THORNS BY MARGARET ROGERSON


And I will tell you right now I am planning on reading the sequel. 

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson is a YA fantasy novel of a young woman named Elisabeth who was raised and works in a magical library containing grimoires that can move, breathe, and talk! On one particular day a mysterious, somewhat aloof sorcerer named Nathaniel comes to visit the library she works at, and since his visit one of the grimoires, a high-ranking one, turns into a Malefict, which is a corrupted grimoire that turns into a monster. After Elisabeth destroys it, she gets in trouble and is kicked out of the library. Nathaniel and his peculiar shapeshifting demon servant named Silas come to get her and they all go to the capital city to see the Chancellor named Ashcroft, who is supposedly going to punish her, but when they arrive, things aren't always as they seem. Elisabeth also learns there is more to Nathaniel and Silas than meets the eye. 

While not an overly whimsical fantasy story, I loved the mysterious, somewhat dark atmosphere it gave off. The way the story read, the way the characterization was, and the way I envisioned it kind of reminded me of a lot of fantasy anime. It would be neat if this book got a manga and anime adaptation. It would work well. Regarding the story, there are a lot of twists in this book as the story goes on, and I think that's what got me hooked! The characters are all really fascinating, too. It took a while for me, but I eventually liked reading Elisabeth's and Nathaniel's relationship. 

But I did give it 4 stars. That was just because it took me a few chapters to understand the story and worldbuilding. Other than that, I recommend this book if you want a darker fantasy story with a relationship that has a little more angst in the beginning.

Got any dark fantasy recommendations? I love to hear them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review