I FINALLY READ LOVELESS BY ALICE OSEMAN!

 


Well I haven't updated this blog in a while, but that was because I was trying to find the best way to describe my experience with reading Loveless by Alice Oseman. 

This story is about a college freshman named Georgia Warr, who despite loving things like romance novels and romance movies, she has never had a crush on anyone and has never dated anyone, let alone kissed someone. She feels as if she's missing out on life, especially when everyone her age, including her own two friends Pip (real named Felipa) and Jason, has already gone on so many dates. 

With the help of her new friend and roommate Rooney, Georgia tries experimenting with whom she could possibly like. So she first tries to date a guy. She starts with her friend Jason (which fails drastically), and then she thinks she might like girls, so she and Rooney kiss, but she ends up upsetting her friend Pip, who already had a crush on Rooney. 

After a conversation about aromanticism and asexuality with her college mentor and other new friend, Sunil, Georgia realizes she is, in fact, aromantic and asexual.  

Georgia discovering she is aro-ace brings both so much surprise, but also so much relief as she understands herself better now. 

At the same time, Georgia and her four friends try to set up a mini-theatre club at their university called the Shakespeare Society (or Shakespeare Soc for short) due to their love of William Shakespeare's plays. All I can say is, there are a bunch of ups and downs in setting up a new club with your friends while at the same time trying to understand your romantic and sexual orientation. 

Rooney also has a lot of character development. At first she seems like a typical, outgoing, popular girl, but as the story goes on and she begins to understand Georgia and Pip better, we find out there's more to her than it meets the eye. 

This book was so good words can't even describe it. I feel like I have found another book that has came into my life at the perfect time. It feels like this book was written specifically for me! It was so relatable. I feel like Georgia might be me in fictional character form. I also love Alice Oseman's writing, it is very readable. I definitely want to check out more of her books! Especially Heartstopper

I am also aro-ace myself, so this book meant a lot to me. I am glad more books with aro-ace representation are coming out.

There is a lot of really great representation in this book, too, especially in the LGBT area:
  • Georgia is aro-ace
  • Pip is a lesbian. She's also Columbian.
  • Jason has two dads
  • Rooney might be bi or pan
  • Sunil is nonbinary and also aro-ace. He's also Indian.
So I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. Just go read it!

What have you been reading recently?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review