Favorite Authors Part 2: Margaret Peterson Haddix

Now, my history with Haddix's books is rather interesting, because when I tried reading her books when I was actually a kid, I didn't like them very much! 

In middle school I tried reading Found, which is the first of her Missing series, and I found it hard to get through. The time travel stuff was also kind of confusing, and the whole book was just a set up for the rest of the series where the main characters go through time to restore history. I also tried reading Among the Hidden, the first of the Shadow Children. At the time I found it boring, but that would eventually change in the future. 

The first book I read from Haddix as an adult would become an all-time favorite, and that is Just Ella! It's a feminist retelling of Cinderella. The second book I read from her was Running Out of Time. I also loved it. I am not planning on reading the sequel, though. I thought the first book was satisfying enough

But then I did read the sequel to Just Ella, which was Palace of Mirrors, and I thought it was really bad! Like, 2 stars bad. Very disappointing. I wonder if Haddix herself even wrote that sequel. 

I gave Among the Hidden another chance and I loved it! I then read the whole series. The Shadow Children series is the only dystopian fiction series I like. 

I then proceeded to read more of her standalones, and these are the ones I read so far and how I felt about them: The School for Whatnots, I liked it fair enough. Then Double Identity, which I loved. The Remarkables, which I also loved. 

I unfortunately DNF'd Claim to Fame and The Summer of Broken Things

As of the making of this post, I am reading The Secret Letters, which is also the first of a trilogy. So far I'm loving it. I plan to get around to all of her books! 

Why do I love Margaret Peterson Haddix's books? Because they are all page-turning mysteries that deal with real world ethical problems. She really knows how to present serious issues to a young audience while also keeping it entertaining. She also really knows how young people think, making her characters really relatable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Cherry Blossom Review

I Started Reading the Call the Name of the Night manga series!

Bianca Torre is Afraid of Everything Review